This is an in-depth iPhone Photo Academy review.
I am a student of the course and have also taken several other courses from iPhone Photography School.
In this article, I’ll share my thoughts about the course, its pros and cons, discount information, and my recommendation.
iPhone Photo Academy is the most popular course offered by IPS (iPhone Photography School).
It is their flagship course that teaches beginners how to take better pictures on their iPhones.
Over 230,000 students have taken this course. A lot, right?
It is a comprehensive course that will take you from beginner to expert. One thing I love about the course is the effort put into creating it.
The locations, the timing, and the practical teachings are on point.
It is not a course shot in the four walls of a studio. Instead, the course was shot outdoors with the instructor taking wonderful pictures to teach and explain how a result was obtained.
Table of Contents
Who is it for?
iPhone Photo Academy is for everyone.
I know this is not the answer you expected, but as a student, I can testify that any category of person you could think of has purchased this course including seniors who want a new hobby.
So, you don’t need to be a professional photographer or a business person for you to purchase the course.
In fact, the majority of the students are people whose passion is photography and not necessarily their job.
We also have travelers (nomads) who took the course in order to capture their beautiful moments.
What I like about iPhone Photo Academy
One of my favorite parts about iPhone Photo Academy is the quality of the content. The amount of effort put into producing the course is top-notch.
Here are some highlights of what I loved about the IPA course.
The course has a Facebook community where students get to share their results. You get to see others’ photos and also try them out yourself.
In addition to the Facebook community, IPA has a beautiful comment section in the course dashboard to ask questions and get a fast response.
They have one of the best customer support teams I have ever seen. Hardly will your questions go unanswered.
The course was shot in different locations and that is one of the beauties of the course.
Come to think of it, a good chunk of the students are also travel nomads.
It is no news that iPhone constantly releases new models every year.
The good news is that the iPhone Photo Academy is constantly updated to include new camera features.
Whether you use the iPhone 13 Pro Max or the iPhone 14, the course is updated to cater to the newest iPhone model.
The key advantage IPA has over other iPhone photography courses is the price. It costs way less than other courses costs.
I mean, it costs just $99 and you could still use some discount on that on special occasions.
iPhone Photo Academy Cons
Every product should definitely have its cons.
Sadly, I am yet to think of any cons that come with the iPhone photo academy.
I am a student of the other courses at iPhone Photography School, and it is worth the investment.
What is in the course?
The course consists of 5 modules.
- The Essentials of the iPhone Camera
- Additional iPhone Camera Features
- The Principles of Great Photography
- Creative iPhone Photography Techniques
- Common iPhone Photography Scenarios
Module 1 – The Essentials of the iPhone Camera
The first module spans over 113 minutes (close to two hours) of videos covering the basics of the iPhone camera.
What you’ll learn:
- The keys to success in iPhone photography
- Get to know your camera app
- How to pick the correct iPhone camera settings
- How to hold your iPhone for sharp photos
- Quick ways to open your iPhone camera app
- How to choose the correct iPhone camera lens
- Ways to release the iPhone’s shutter.
All of the videos in this module were shot in various tourist destinations in Latvia.
Like the Dzintari Beach, Gauja National Park, Engure Municipality, Cesis Municipality, and Araisi Windmill.
Module 2 – Additional iPhone Camera Features
This module consists of seven sections and spans over 111 minutes covering the additional features of the iPhone camera.
- The secret iPhone camera feature for perfect focus
- Your first iPhone photography assignment
- How to set the correct exposure for your pictures
- How to preserve your memories with live photos
- How to capture stunning long-exposure photos
- To capture great photos using burst mode
- How to take outstanding panoramic photos.
Module 3 – The Principles of Great Photography
An important aspect of photography is creativity, which has nothing to do with the iPhone camera but more to do with the photographer.
In this module, you’ll learn
- Mindset secrets to improve your creativity
- Secrets for choosing the perfect photography angle
- How to find subjects for stunning iPhone photos
- How to compose photos using the rule of thirds
- Composition guidelines for iPhone photos
- How to use a friend as the subject of your photos.
- How to capture iPhone reflection photos
Module 4 – Creative iPhone Photography Techniques
The fourth module also has seven sections spanning over 113 hours too. In this module, you will learn how to use light to take better photos.
- How light makes or breaks your photos
- Early morning tips for sunrise photos
- How to use shadows to improve your photos
- How to plan a successful sunset photoshoot
- Secrets to taking incredible silhouette photos
- How to capture iPhone photos at night.
Module 5 – Common iPhone Photography Scenarios
This module will show you how to apply all the previous tutorials in common photography scenarios you’ll likely come across.
You’ll learn how to bring all knowledge together and apply it.
This module covers:
- How to take stunning landscape photos
- Secrets for taking iPhone travel photos
- Tips for taking unique iPhone photos of children
- Techniques for capturing beautiful photos of flowers
- Advanced long-exposure photography techniques
- How to make use of macro lens with your iPhones.
In addition to the five modules in the iPhone Photo Academy, you also get four additional bonus modules.
iPhone Portrait Photography
This is a bonus section that was taught by Chris Orwig.
- How to direct a photoshoot
- How to work with natural and studio lighting for dynamic shots
- Working with the environment
- How to capture meaningful self-portraits
- The art of storytelling in iPhone portrait photography
- Capturing motion in portrait photography
- Best camera apps for iPhone portrait photography
- Chris’ final advice for your iPhone portrait photography adventure.
There are other bonus sections on how to preserve the full quality of your iPhone photos.
If you don’t preserve the full quality of your photos, they would not look as good as they should.
This bonus module will cover resolution, compression, and image file format.
Another bonus module will teach you how to manage a huge photo library. Photo management can become a problem as you progress in your photography adventure.
Hence, the importance of this bonus.
I have written this amazing review as a student of the iPhone Photo Academy and other courses offered by the iPhone Photography School.
So basically, it is a positive review.
But here are what other students think about it.
The iPhone Photo Academy is a course that not only teaches but takes you on an experience.
Together with the instructor, I get to experience the beautiful locations from my screen while learning.
You can sign up for the course using my affiliate link. This comes at no extra expense to you. (Thanks 😊).